2019-2020 WAGS-PROQUEST INNOVATION IN TECHNOLOGY AWARD
The Western Association of Graduate Schools (WAGS) and ProQuest are pleased to announce the 2019-2020 WAGS-ProQuest Innovation in Technology award. This $1,500 award may be given either to a master’s thesis or to a doctoral dissertation and is intended to recognize the innovative development and/or application of technology to scholarship. Each member institution may submit one nomination for this award.
This award recognizes distinguished scholarly achievement at the Mater’s or doctoral level. This award is given for the development of innovative technology in a thesis or dissertation and its utilization for the creative solution of a major problem.
Each submission requires a written nomination by the Dean of the Graduate School (College), or the equivalent office at the nominating institution. The internal institutional selection processes are the responsibility of the endorsing official.
GUIDELINES FOR THE 2019-2020 WAGS-PROQUEST INNOVATION IN TECHNOLOGY AWARD:
- Nominees must have successfully defended and submitted the final copy of their thesis or dissertation towards the Master’s or doctoral degree within the period of July 1, 2018, through June 30, 2019. Nomination materials should be assembled in the following order and submitted electronically as one PDF file:
- A written nomination letter from the Graduate Dean cited in the Eligibility Requirements above. The letter should describe the process that was used to select the thesis for nomination.
- A non-technical summary prepared by the student (1000-1500 words) describing the research and how it demonstrates or resulted in the development of innovative technology in the conduct of scholarship. This summary should be directed to a general academic audience of non-specialists.
- Letters from the major professor and one additional faculty member. The letters should include information regarding the significance of the thesis or dissertation, the contribution of the work to the knowledge base of the discipline, and the broader impact of the innovation.
- A CV or resume from the student nominee.
- All nomination materials must be submitted electronically through the nomination form in a single PDF file titled: LastNameofRecipient_AbbreviatedNameofInstitution_WAGSTechAward_2019-2020
- Nominations are due September 23, 2019. Nomination forms must be submitted using Qualtrics at this link: http://oregonstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8udxVoeGSRfU7rf
Initial screening will be based upon the nomination packet and the thesis or dissertation which will be evaluated on four criteria. Each letter should specifically address each of the screening criteria below:
- Originality of the study
- Scope and significance of the study
- Contribution to the discipline and/or profession
- Overall quality of the thesis or dissertation
- Nominators will be asked to provide an electronic copy of the complete thesis or dissertation in the nomination form.
- The 2019-2020 winner will receive a Certificate of Award, $1500, and travel expenses for the recipient to attend the WAGS Annual Conference and Awards luncheon to be held in Albuquerque, NM in March 2020.
- If you have any questions, please contact Matthew Tradewell at email@example.com