2018-2019 WAGS-PROQUEST INNOVATION IN TECHNOLOGY AWARD
The Western Association of Graduate Schools (WAGS) and ProQuest are pleased to announce the 2018-2019 WAGS-ProQuest Innovation in Technology award. This $1,500 award may be given either to a master’s thesis or to a doctoral dissertation and is intended to recognize the innovative application of technology to scholarship. Each member institution may submit one nomination for this award.
This award recognizes distinguished scholarly achievement at the Mater’s or doctoral level. This award is given for the development of an innovative technology in a thesis or dissertation and its utilization for the creative solution of a major problem.
Each submission requires a written nomination by the Dean of the Graduate School (College), or the equivalent office at your institution. The internal institutional selection processes are the responsibility of the endorsing official.
GUIDELINES FOR THE 2018-2019 WAGS-PROQUEST INNOVATION IN TECHNOLOGY AWARD:
- Nominees must have successfully defended and submitted the final copy of their thesis or dissertation towards the Master’s or doctoral degree within the period of July 1, 2017, through June 30, 2018. Nomination materials should be assembled in the following order and submitted electronically as one PDF file:
- A written nomination letter from the Graduate Dean cited in the Eligibility Requirements above. The letter should describe the process that was used to select the thesis for nomination.
- A non-technical summary prepared by the student (1000-1500 words) describing the research and how it demonstrates or resulted in the development of innovative technology in the conduct of scholarship. This summary should be directed to a general academic audience of non-specialists.
- Letters from the major professor and one additional faculty member. The letters should include information regarding the significance of the thesis or dissertation, the contribution of the work to the knowledge base of the discipline, and the broader impact of the innovation.
- A CV or resume from the student nominee.
- All nomination materials must be submitted electronically in a single PDF file titled: LastNameofRecipient_AbbreviatedNameofInstitution_WAGSTechAward_2018-2019
Nominations are due September 14, 2018 and should be sent to: Kristen DeBoer, kristendeboer@BoiseState.edu
- Initial screening will be based upon the nomination packet and the thesis or dissertation which will be evaluated on four criteria:
- Significance of the study
- Overall quality
- Outcomes and accomplishments from the thesis
- Finalists will be asked to provide an electronic copy of the complete thesis or dissertation for the final round of judging.
- The 2018-2019 winner will receive a Certificate of Award, $1500, and travel expenses for the recipient to attend the WAGS Annual Conference and Awards luncheon to be held in Tucson, AZ in March, 2019.