2017-2018 WAGS/PROQUEST DISTINGUISHED MASTER’S THESIS AWARD IN STEM Biological Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Engineering
The Western Association of Graduate Schools (WAGS) and ProQuest are pleased to announce the 2017-2018 WAGS/ProQuest Distinguished Master’s Thesis Award competition. Each member institution may submit one nomination for this award.
This award recognizes distinguished scholarly achievement at the master’s level. Nominations will be accepted in any of the above-listed disciplines in which the institution offers a Master’s degree.
The scholarly “product” eligible for this competition is a formal written thesis. If a nominating department offers both a thesis option and a project option, only the thesis is acceptable for consideration for this award. Each submission requires a written nomination by the Dean of the Graduate School (College), or the equivalent office at your institution. The internal institutional selection processes are the responsibility of the endorsing official.
GUIDELINES FOR THE 2016-2017 WAGS/PROQUEST DISTINGUISHED MASTER’S THESIS AWARD FOLLOW:
- Nominees must have earned the Master’s degree within the period of July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2017. Nomination materials should be assembled in the following order and submitted electronically as one PDF file:
- A written nomination letter from the Graduate Dean cited in the Eligibility Requirements above. The letter should describe the process that was used to select the thesis for nomination.
- A non-technical summary prepared by the student (1000-1500 words) describing the research and its significance for a general academic audience of non-specialists.
- A letter from the department head or major professor and one additional faculty member.
The letters should include information regarding the significance of the thesis, the contribution of the thesis to the program of the degree granting unit, and the impact of the thesis on the knowledge base of the discipline.
- A CV or resume from the student nominee.
- All nomination materials must be submitted electronically in a single PDF file titled: LastNameofRecipient_AbbreviatedNameofInstitution_WAGSDistThesisAwardSTEM_2017-2018
Nominations are due September 14, 2017 and should be sent to: Margaret Gonzales – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Initial screening will be based upon the nomination packet and the thesis will be evaluated on four criteria:
- Significance of the study
- Overall quality
- Outcomes and accomplishments from the thesis
- Finalists will be asked to provide an electronic copy of the complete thesis for the final round of judging.
- The 2017-2018 winner will receive a Certificate of Award, $1000, and travel expenses for the recipient to attend the WAGS Annual Conference and Awards luncheon to be held in Las Vegas, NV in March, 2018.